Monday, September 8, 2008

Apartment/ First Week of Work

Nick and I started at our new job last week. We both teach kindergarten at the same school.His kids are 3 years old and mine are 4. Both of our classes are new students who have never been to school before.

It's taxing. They have no idea how to line up, listen, sit still, or play nicely, let alone how to learn English. I feel much more like a babysitter than a teacher. As of today, week 2, we're unsure whether we have the patience to teach such young kids. It's actually been the cause of a lot of anxiety and lost sleep over the last week.

I'm not sure now what I'll do, but I may end up working at another job.

Also, since a few people seemed curious, I've uploaded some photos of our apartment. These photos don't include Nick's space on the 5th floor, which is probably roughly 200+ square feet, or our roof area. We pay about $260US per month for this house.

The Album.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt W said...

Huh, those kids sound like my college freshman (and juniors). Welcome to the world of teaching. Suck it up. It doesn't get much better.

September 10, 2008 at 3:29 AM  
Blogger Fran and Dave said...

Suck it up it doesn't get much better????? The guy works like six hours a week and he's telling you to suck it up Joe. Uncle Matt needs a real job!

September 13, 2008 at 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They have no idea how to line up, listen, sit still, or play nicely,"
Sorry Joe this statement is also accurate or many adults - Fortunatley the kids have you to instruct them - most adults like this will be stupid for life.

September 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Joe W. said...

Yes, I'm really planning on leaving. I make good money at this job, and I do like my colleagues, but the is a disorganized mess.

I'm basically given no teaching aides, a Chinese co-teacher who's rarely in the room, and textbooks (really good McGraw-Hill/Houghton Mifflin American textbooks) that are totally age inappropriate.

It's just a mess, and I need to get out.

Besides, this kindergarten thing is really a woman's job. I need to find some older kids/adults to teach.

September 16, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home