Sunday, December 2, 2007

Crash

I'll keep this brief because it hurts to type.

I wrecked my chopper. I was out driving yesterday afternoon with Luke, Melanie, and Jerry, and I didn't brake hard enough making a downhill turn on a mountain road and my scooter slid off the road. Fortunately, I fell off the scooter before it crashed into a wall, unfortunately I missed the soft berm and skidded along the pavement.

I skinned my left hand pretty badly, and my right elbow and knee. I may have a mild sprain to my left shoulder, and the bridge of my nose has a couple scratches from my helmet visor hitting me.

After I stood up, I felt to make sure I was all still there. My jacket was ripped to shreds, and my jeans had a couple of new holes, but the damage to my body was thankfully non life threatening. I realized I couldn't move my left arm up to unbuckle my helmet, and that scared me. After putting in a lot of effort, I finally raised my arm and felt a triumphant pop as my arm righted itself back into its socket. Success!

Of course, I took some photos after the wreck:


Minutes before the crash, we stop to take in a view and strategize.


The scene of the crash.


I still had a sense of humor, and I was still standing.

WARNING: EXTREME GORE!!!
(click to supersize)




After the crash, the rest of the group came back and we assessed the damage. My Yamaha Fuzzy 125 is in roughly the same banged up shape it was in before the accident, and my injuries didn't look too severe.

We got back on our steeds and drove slowly back to Linko, where Melanie helped clean the gravel out of my wounds and put some antiseptic and iodine on them. Thanks Mel!

I spent the rest of the day self medicating with Taiwan Beer and amoxicillin.

The lesson I learned: Be extra cautious driving on any road, but most of all on steep gradients and sharp turns. Also, always wear a helmet. Always.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt W said...

You got your internet back for this? Jeez! Are you trying to worry your mother to death?

Anyway, "just a flesh wound."

Uncle Matt

December 3, 2007 at 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps a few too many brewskies before the ride????

December 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Susie Q said...

Joey has a boo-boo!! I'll throw some band-aids in with your package, Joe! And maybe some Neosporin - that takes care of anything. And oh, drink some 7-Up or Ginger Ale - Grandpa used to think that cured anything!! Seriously, hope you aren't hurting too much! Poor Joey.

December 5, 2007 at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home